I live in Tokyo now but most of my friends and family do not. The main idea here is that I can tell these people about interesting things that happen and are seen.

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Cold Maxxing With The Gothic Lolitas

Apparently Sunday is the day to go to Harajuku, around the entrance to the Meiji-jingu, and gawk at the people in funny clothes. So, I did. I got confused and thought there was some reason for me to wander around in Yoyogi Park for an hour so apparently I missed the bit when the "rockers" lay out traffic cones and then do some kind of dance. It's not clear to me what happens since, as I said, I wasn't there for it. I'll go back another time and hang around instead of walking quickly past feeling kind of out place.

Speaking as Today's Man, describing clothes is not something I excel at so I won't really bother to try. I ain't Gwen Stefani or nothing, so don't act like I am. One particular accessory really did astonish me though - a narrow strip of cloth or plastic, generally white, is tied around the face so that it covers the nose, and only the nose. Like the kerchief of a stagecoach robber who feels his only identifying feature is his schnozz (perhaps he has an exceedingly ordinary mouth).

I didn't take any photos because I feel it is kind of uncool to photograph people because you think they look weird. I might be missing the point - I mean it appears to be some regular Sunday routine, maybe having disturbed looking gaijins take photos of you is part of the kudos to be had, I dunno. Anyway I did do a quick web-trawl and find someone else's photos.


This is not my photo, but I did see this actual girl, in this actual costume.

You might as well go to http://www.gardkarlsen.com/japan_tokyo.htm and just pretend I took all the photos.

Oh, and here's what I missed. Next time huh.

2 Comments:

Blogger Murray said...

ben were you drunk or just very tired when you wrote this

Wed Aug 09, 04:29:00 AM PDT

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I have this thing where I pretend I have even the barest grasp of english at four in the morning. It has got me into a lot of trouble.

Sat Aug 12, 09:40:00 AM PDT

 

Post a Comment

<< Home